- In September 2022 Atonometrics will introduce an updated version of the Mars Soiling Sensor with an all-new improved enclosure design.
- This new model, part number 810230-20, will replace the original models, part numbers 810230-01 and 810230-10, which will become obsolete.
- This knowledge base article provides instructions for installing a new model 810230-20 Mars in place of an older model 810230-01 or 810230-10 in an existing installation.
- Since the new model 810230-20 has a different form factor and different M12 power/RS485 pinout, an adapter plate and adapter cable are required to mate with your existing mounts and cables.
Materials and Tools for Installation
To update an existing older-model Mars installation with the new model, you will need:
- 810230-20 Mars unit (shown below right)
- 810296 Kit for Updating to Mars 810230-20, comprising:
- 610498 Adapter Plate (shown below center). This plate matches the mounting holes of the 810230-01 or -10 units to your new 810230-20 unit.
- 830296 Adapter Cable (show below left). This cable mates your 8-pin M12 power/RS485 cables (830256-xxx) on your site to the 5-pin M12 pinout of the 810230-20 model. The Adapter Cable also lets you use the 810235-01 Configuration Kit, which does not include a 5 pin cable.
- Phillips #2 Screwdriver
- 810235-01 Configuration Kit, for updating communication settings.
- 830261-002 M12 Ethernet cable. This cable connects your PC's Ethernet port to the M12 Ethernet port on your Mars unit. The cable was included with your original 810230-01 or -10 Mars unit. The same cable works with your 810230-20 Mars.
- Any existing mounts, hardware, and tools used to initially mount your older-model Mars 810230-01 or -10 unit
Mount 810230-20 Mars Unit to 610498 Adapter Plate
- Remove the two M5 screws on the bottom side of the default U-shaped Mars 810230-20 mounting bracket. The U-shaped bracket will not be needed for your installation.
- Mount the 610498 Adapter Plate to the bottom side of the 810230-20 Mars unit using the same M5 screws
Connect M12 Power/RS485 Adapter Cable to New Mars Unit
- Connect the male side of the 830296 Adapter Cable to the 5-pin M12 port on the left side of the 810230-20 Mars Unit, as shown below.
- Tighten the cable to prevent moisture ingress.
Configure Communication Settings
- Your new Mars unit must be configured for the communication settings at your site.
- Use your original Configuration Kit 810235-01 to update communication settings, as described in the Mars User Guide, to your selected settings for the site.
- NOTE: Connect the 8-pin M12 Power/RS485 cable of the 810235-01 Configuration Kit to the female end of the 830296 Adapter Cable attached to the new Mars unit in the previous step.
- NOTE: To connect your PC to the Mars unit, you will need to have the 830261-002 M12 Ethernet cable originally shipped with your older-model Mars unit. It is not part of the 810235-01 Configuration Kit.
Remove Existing 810230-01 or -10 Mars Unit from Mounting Surface
- Remove the M12 cables from your 810230-01 or -10 Mars unit
- Remove the 810230-01 or -10 Mars Unit from its mounting surface
Place 810230-20 Mars Unit on Mounting Surface
- Mount the 810230-20 Mars Unit and 610498 Adapter Plate on the same footprint as the previously installed 810230-01 or -10 Mars Unit.
- If not done already, connect the male side of the 830296 Adapter Cable to the 5-pin M12 port on the left side of the 810230-20 Mars Unit, as shown below right.
- Connect your existing M12 power/RS485 8-pin cable (830256-xxx) to the female side of the 830296 Adapter Cable, as shown below left.
- Note: If you are using Ethernet communication, connect your existing 4-pin M12 Ethernet cable (830261-xxx) to the M12 Ethernet port on the right of the 810230-20 Mars unit. The same cable works for all Mars models 810230-01, -10, and -20.
- Your complete installation should look similar to the example shown below, with the large aluminum plate representing your existing mounting structure.
- Secure cables with cable ties as appropriate.