Soiling and Irradiance Measurement Systems with the RDE300 Series measurement and control unit collect critical data for evaluating PV array performance.
The systems can be used at operating PV power plants and pre-construction site survey locations.
Each system uses one or two attached PV reference devices to perform measurements.
Major applications include:
- Irradiance Measurement: Using a calibrated PV reference cell or reference module, the system produces accurate irradiance measurements that are well matched with the effective irradiance perceived by the user’s PV array. Optional automated washing of the calibrated PV device ensures that the irradiance measurements are free of soiling artifacts.
- Soiling Measurement: Using a pair of PV devices, one clean and the other naturally soiled, the system measures power loss due to soiling. The system allows the user to choose a PV module identical to those in their PV array as their soiled reference module, ensuring that soiling measured by the system accurately represents soiling on the user’s PV array. Optional automated washing of the clean reference device minimizes technician labor.
Accurate and reliable measurements are ensured by advanced features, including:
- I-V Curve Measurement: The system measures both short-circuit current and output power of PV modules from a complete I-V curve, ensuring accurate results even when soiling is spatially non-uniform.
- Choice of Hold State: In between measurements, the system holds PV reference modules at the user’s choice of either open-circuit (typical for crystalline silicon modules) or short-circuit (typical for thin-film modules), minimizing PV module degradation.
- Advanced Wash Unit: The optional automated wash units not only provide an effective way to ensure clean irradiance measurements without technician labor, but also have advanced features for reliable operation, including:
- Built-In Analysis: The RDE’s internal software analyzes all readings performed each day and produces filtered daily average values available on separate registers, reducing the need for post-processing of the data on the user’s logging platform.
For more information, see RDE300 Series User Guide.